Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Friday, February 20, 2009

Pride makes you HEAVY

This morning I was reading a portion out of a book that I frequent often. It was on the topic of Pride. In my last 2 posts I discussed the importance of cleaning up our internal house in order to get our bodies to reflect that inner light. As I was reading about "Pride" this morning, I realized how much I struggle with this and suspected that maybe more of you out there will see this ugly theme running through your life as well. The thing about pride is that if you have it, you won't want to see that you have it. Pride covers the "Pride Problem" up. It's my hope that if you are entangled in it, your eyes will be opened today to it's hold over you and your true freedom.

My distorted understanding about Pride was that it meant you believed you were always right. Past that description, I never bothered to investigate more about it. The reason I probably didn't, is because I was too proud to want to know anything else. After reading this morning, I was completely convicted. I saw that I have a big problem with pride and it has become a wall that I keep running into. I realize that while I am trying to love others and fill my cup up with "light", I have been consistently falling short of fulfilling all of my attempts, which has left me frustrated and feeling bad. I now see that it is because of the pride that is woven into my everyday life, that has me canceling out all the good things I'm putting in.

Pride is something that effects the person with a low opinion of themselves as well as someone with a high opinion. Pride is self-centered. Regardless of whether you are focusing on all of your insecurities or strengths, it is consumed with "self". This was a huge revelation to me. I would have thought it had to do with "self conceit" not "self loathing". However, so many of us with a weight problem, have our eyes on all of our insecurities and therefore I can see how pride could become a real problem without any of us realizing it.

Pride is very dangerous because it leads to other bad viewpoints. It's also what leads to destruction in our life. Isn't this weight problem part of that destruction? Yes. So many bad things happen because of Pride. It ruins our relationships with people and robs us of the ability to give and experience unconditional love. It is a destroyer! In the book "Praying God's Word", the author says Pride cheats wherever it plays. She wrote a parody about Pride that I want to share with you.

My name is Pride.
I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you "deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look in the mirror than out the window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real love demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a Cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you.
Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me,
You'll never know!

Do not misunderstand this to mean we shouldn't love ourselves. That type of love is a true understanding of our talents, gifts and overall worth. It's an appreciation for God's creation, which is "us". NO.....pride masquerades in black and white extremes. It has you forget who made you. It makes you god in your own eyes. Either with feeling you are so important or with feeling you are so unimportant. Either view has you negate a real God who created you in His image and is still governing the laws of the universe.

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Proverbs 11:2

Please take the time to look into your heart and see if you find any pride there. It could be the best time that you ever invest because as we read in the scriptures, pride will cause destruction and disgrace. If you find any pride, humble yourself. Find a book or article or read the scriptures about Pride and how to fix it. When you cast it out, you will be making a huge step towards balanced love in your life. You will be able to love yourself properly and others fully. When you do this, your inner vessel gets clean. When your inner vessel gets clean, your outer vessel reflects that.

I am emphatic about pouring "light" into our souls because it is the defining factor for lasting outer beauty. This subject of pride is a major player in the game that is destroying your attempts to look better and feel better! Be on the alert to watch for this everyday. When you see it, then soften your heart to deal with it head on. You will see major change come over your life when you do! I am determined to work on this in my own life. Please join me in this pursuit of true happiness.


3 comments:

  1. Pouring "light" into our souls changes everything. These are the two thoughts that came to my mind on first read of the newsletter. First, in "The Last Day" booklets, you nentioned that everything fets simple when we consider our mortality. Down the list of things we would want to do if this were our last day, you said "I wouldn't care about the concerns of the world, I would polish all the details that exist in "my world." Since then, I have realized where the Lord wants me to look first, to those I may possibly be able to influence in my own little world. This is where I can be most effective. I was thankful for the time and space to look after those who I might be able be an instrument of the Lord in helping and they are right under my nose. Then I hoped that influence might ripple out. The second thought I had was from the book Praying God's Word. I have read the book from the beginning, because when I skipped to the strongholds that seemed to define where I was having trouble, I realized that understanding all the strongholds was important before getting to the ones that were obvious in my life. In fact, I really couldn't understand the ones that were obvious to me until I understood the ones that preceded the obvious ones. I was glad pride was close to the beginning of the book. I could understand that stronghold because the Lord has been gracious in helping me out with that major stronghold in my life. That is a long story, but a wonderful one. Thank you, Heather. I'll read the newsletter again and I know more ideas will come into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the hardest subjects for people. I am constantly reminding my self to try to be humble. For me it is to be humble enought to ask for help when needed instead of trying to bear all the burden on my own I have to remeber to pray and ask for some of that burden to be lifted. This has always been hard for me becuase I try to tell my self I can do it or its not that bad and i end up loosing what ever battle I am trying to fight when I now the lord is always there and all it takes is for me to put my PRIDE aside for a moment and turn to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are days when I am able to keep my eyes open and my heart learning. I am grateful for those days. Reading good stuff is a key to how I am able to move forward and face the daily challenges. Thanks for helping us do that, Heather. You stay in tune.

    It's amazing how "layered" things are when it comes to fighting the adversary. "Pride covers the pride problem up" is a statement which really unlayers the layers of the pride stronghold. There is freedom in understanding how these strongholds work and how we can work around them and through them.

    Pride is all about self, whether we are caught up in ourselves or whether we are feeling down, the fact is we are thinking a lot about ourselves and missing the importance of looking outside our insides to see what we can do to help our neighbors and to help our Father in Heaven.

    Here are my favorites from the pride parody:
    "I rob you of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way."
    "I cheat you of healing because you are too full of me to forgive."
    "I cheat you of heaven because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth."

    ReplyDelete