Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Saturday, February 14, 2009

Get Light with "LOVE"

Today is Valentines Day and I wanted to write a special message.

In my last thought, I referred to filling up your heart with "light" in order to replace any negative thought patterns that you have toward others or even yourself. I added another thought in response to a comment that was made. In that response, I used an analogy about having mud in our glasses of water. I said that when we continue to pour an ongoing stream of clear water into that cup, the water will eventually turn pure and clean. I believe, with all of my heart that the water we need to pour in, is the "light of love". The love of God and His son is absolutely the purest love we can experience. Until we purposely seek that unconditional love everyday , we will not be able to love ourselves and others properly. Even if we already have turned to that love, watch how much you're actually allowing to be poured into your cup in order to drown out any mud that's left.

Probably one of my favorite passages in the Bible is found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. I have this found in many places of my house. As a matter of fact, my daughters gave me a plaque with it for Christmas. It spells out the kind of love we should be exercising every single day.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love Never Fails...!"

I wanted to break these down for a minute.

It helps me to ask myself these questions when dealing with someone who is difficult, because that's where my thoughts turn muddy if I'm not careful.

Am I being patient, right now?
Am I being kind, right now?
Am I feeling envious, right now?
Am I bragging about myself, right now?
Am I full of stubborn pride, right now?
Am I being rude, right now?
Am I acting like this to get what "I" want, right now?
Am I ready to lose my temper, right now?
Am I remembering past mistakes, right now?
Am I happy at someones misfortune, right now?
Am I encouraging truthfulness, right now?
Am I protective of this person's heart, right now?
Am I being trusting, right now?
Am I expressing hope in this person, right now?
Am I going to persevere through this, right now?

Then the next thing I remember is that "Love Never Fails".

Any difficult situations I have with others can be turned around if I show them the kind of love mentioned above, because love never fails!!!

My hope is that we can all practice behaving this way toward others. When we build up our "Love Muscle" we will truly begin to push out the darkness in our hearts by replacing it with pure light!

Happy Valentines Day!

3 comments:

  1. I am working on this concept as we speak. I have been finding myself impatient with those I love and when I exercise the "love muscle" my heart softens. When I watch and guard my words and my thoughts I can get back to what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a grerat reminder of how pure love is and not just love but the unconditional love that our Savior has for each of us! I am happy to practicing these things and I truly think they will make a huge impact in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this method of questioning especially when dealing with my husband. I have always wanted to show him unconditional love, however many times I fall short of the mark. When I remember to ask myself these questions at the moment of contention between us, I then try to become an instrument of peace. This is how I want to conduct myself with everyone. I also feel that we need to practice unconditional love for ourselves. This happens when we begin to understand our importance to the Father and the Son. Thanks for your comments.... we can all benefit from hearing others stories and struggles!!!!

    ReplyDelete