Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Monday, May 4, 2009

What's holding you back???

Let me ask you a question. What things get in your way when losing weight? Could it be restricted eating, exercise, prepping foods, planning meals, no support from family, slow metabolism, your medications hinder it, difficult when eating out, too many social events on your calendar, a vacation, a crazy schedule.....

I have heard every single one of those things and I've said a lot of them myself. But have you ever lost weight in spite of many of those same challenges? I can speak from a place of expertise on this when I say that I have been on both sides of that fence. Doing it through the struggles and also not doing it because of the struggles.

Let me switch gears for a moment. Have you ever heard about the Placebo Effect? The Placebo Effect happens when they test out medications to see the effectiveness. They have one group take the real medication and they have a different group take a pill that contains just sugar. Both groups think they are getting the medication that will heal what they've got. In study after study the sugar pill cured around 30% of the recipients. Do you realize how amazing that is? Let's say they were testing a new medicine for chronic headaches, 30% of the recipients were cured from nothing more than a little sugar pill. Their CHRONIC headaches were now totally gone. They believed it was the medicine and they believed the medicine would work. THEY GOT WHAT THEY BELIEVED!!!!!

Maybe you can connect where I'm going with all of this. One of the biggest problems I face in helping people (including helping myself) is in self limiting beliefs. I know this is hard for you to swallow, but it's true! When I asked what things do you think get in your way when losing weight, I really want you to think about what things you think get in your way. Make a list. When you're done... look at it and then realize, that YOU are putting those things in your way! Those things will be huge road blocks to your success if you don't change the way you think about them.

I have had clients in the past who were told by doctors that because of their medical condition they would have a very difficult, if not impossible time losing any weight. How horrible. When I hear stories like that it makes me want to cringe!!! The first thing I say to people like that is to forget what they heard! I tell them that they have the power to think differently about their circumstances. I can think of one client who was told by a doctor she would never go below 200 on the scale because of her fibromyalgia and it was coming true with countless failed attempts. I told her to trust me and believe that her mind and the right eating would do the trick. She did and last time I saw her she was around 170 pounds! You see... you can climb over those limiting walls if you think you can!

Ask yourself these 5 questions when redefining your limiting beliefs.

1. Is this goal desirable and worthwhile?

2. Have others with similar circumstances to mine, accomplished this goal?

3. Is it POSSIBLE for me? (pay attention to your inner voice right now... what negative things is it saying? Now think of your true capabilities)
4. Is what it takes to achieve this goal appropriate and reasonable?

5. Do I think I truly deserve it? (Think about that and search your heart... you may not think you do)

After asking yourself all those questions, then remember that you can redefine anything with a new thought and feeling.

What if you now say & believe that losing weight can be easy because you know there are people out there who say that, believe it and it does become easy? What if you can love eating healthy foods because you focus on the way your body feels after you eat them? What if you can say you love to exercise because you love how much energy you have when you're done? What if you can love planning and prepping foods in advance because you understand how easy it makes your life after its prepared? What if you go out to eat and think of yourself like a naturally thin person because you know that naturally thin people make their companions the main attraction, not the food? What if you choose to say that you have a faster metabolism because you simply believe it and know that it can be sped up with eating healthy food combinations frequently? Do you see? Get your head around and rationalize a higher meaning for change and then buy into the belief!!!! This will work! Test it! I want you all to stop limiting yourself today! I know you are capable of amazing things!

1 comment:

  1. When I began my weight loss journey in October, I believed my metabolism was "stuck" and that losing weight was different for me at my age. I'm down to losing my last 15 pounds after losing quite a bit. My metabolism isn't "stuck" but my thinking was. Now I have this nagging notion that the last 15 pounds will be the most difficult. Here are the things from this newsletter I'm going to work on: 1)This next goal is appropriate and reasonable, 2) I love eating healthy foods because of the way I feel when I do, 3) I love to exercise because of the energy level I have when I am finished, 4) I will enjoy the company more than the food when I'm out to dinner, and 5)my metabolism is great when I eat healthy food combinations. Prepping food is something I still need to get my head around.
    Thanks for the tips!
    May 5, 2009 4:04 AM

    ReplyDelete