Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Becoming a Masterpiece

I acknowledge that those of you reading this newsletter are all at different levels when it comes to your weight. Some have a lot to lose while others have less and still others are simply trying to maintain what they've already lost. I realize that we are all in a similar boat when it comes to the battle. We are all in the brotherhood because we know the struggle. We understand the pain. We share the hope.

In reflection, I have pondered my experiences while heavier and thinner. I felt proud of my accomplishments, yet stifled by my lack of fulfillment in finishing the journey. You already know that I've come a long way. However, the golden ring still eluded me. I was stuck in accepting mediocrity and I was good at it. The pain of shame wasn't so much a problem anymore because I could get away with hiding my flaws in clothes. It's no wonder that my favorite season is Fall. One of the reasons is because when the weather gets colder, I could wear more clothes. But here comes Summer. My dreaded season. I love the sun but hate the clothes. Bathing suits, shorts, etc. I can't hide in the Summer.

This way of thinking was the norm for me but that's wrong! I was built to become a masterpiece. I was created for greatness and so were you! We should let everything about us SHINE! We are God's creation. In 1 Corinthians 11:7 it says, "A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man." We are made in His GLORIOUS image. That means we are to be magnifying that glory! When we accept mediocrity in how we approach our appearance, we fail to show off God's creation. We fail to shine! I'm not saying that the Lord is all about looks, not at all. I believe God wants our whole lives to shine. Matthew 5:16 says "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." The Lord is interested in molding us and refining us into a work of art, in every aspect for everyone to see. Because when we truly shine on the inside and out, our lives become very attractive to others. They will want what we've got. We will be an instrument for the Lord to influence other people's lives.

As you know, I will be competing in the Mrs. Utah Pageant this summer, but I have also been training to run my first 5K on the 4th of July. I decided to do that before the Pageant was even in the picture because I wanted to prove something to myself. I was already feeling the need to grow in a fresh new way in my life and then the Pageant came and really forced me to stretch myself and my faith. I truly believe God is using these opportunity's to put me in a position to polish up my act. Not only has it humbled me and had me lean on Him in a way that I have never experienced spiritually, but it has me reaching new heights physically. I feel like the raw clay and my Heavenly Father is the sculptor. He is turning me into His masterpiece and I am in reverence of His love for me. He wants to do the same for you!

Don't accept less than the best for yourself! Become shiny for the Lord in every way. Push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. Do something that forces you to stretch. Commit yourself to something that you can't back out of. This sets you up to really exercise some genuine faith in your Father.

I realized early on that I couldn't back out of both of these commitments. My true integrity is hanging in the balance. Because of this knowledge... I am leaning hard on God's wisdom, strength and my efforts to back that up. What I first thought insane, has become my saving grace. I pray that you will allow the Lord to polish you up, too. That you will let Him take your life and truly create the masterpiece that you were meant to be!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So this newsletter got me asking myself a couple of questions:
    1) What opportunities is God giving me to help me polish up my act, and
    2) What is stretching me right now?
    I thought of some things and I thought of all the obstacles that I've created. I realized that the obstacles in my life had become my life. I am anxious to break the cycle and move forward with faith. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being brave enough to grow and do some new things. I hope you do well in both Mrs. Utah, and your 5K, but most of all I hope you enjoy the journey. You get to see the scenery when you train for a race, rarely do you see the scenery during the race. So, I guess what I'm saying is....training is the fun part. :)

    ReplyDelete