Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Monday, April 13, 2009

The Big Seven

I have thought about this subject on and off over the years. I never really researched it until now, even though I was attracted to the overall meaning.

I know that the Catholic religion is predominately known for this teaching, even though I was surprised to read that they weren't the ones that originally taught it. Regardless of who supports it or brought it forward, it bears great wisdom and insight for all of us to think about, which is why I am going to discuss it this week.

The subject is on the Seven Deadly Sins.

Let me list them for you in no order of importance.

1. Pride
2. Gluttony
3. Greed
4. Lust
5. Sloth
6. Wrath
7. Envy

For a better explanation of each one of these, I encourage you to click on this wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Deadly_Sins#Pride_.28Latin.2C_superbia.29
This is a great resource into understanding each one and the history about how they came into existence.

I think it's probably obvious why I am attracted to this teaching. It combines all that I have been trying to explain in my newsletters.

It's labeled the Seven Deadly Sins for a reason. These vices can kill us internally and can cause us external death as well, in one way or another. In thinking about this principle I connected it to the purpose of the Ten Commandments. I used to think the Ten Commandments were God's way of boxing me in and giving me rules. I really did. I looked at them as if they were a way for God to judge me. While there is some truth to that, I realize now that the Commandments were put in place to protect us and in essence, Free Us! Which brings true happiness!

Paying attention to these seven areas of concern can protect us from our human nature. I guess in other words, they protect us from ourselves. When we participate in these behaviors, we typically minimize the effects they will have on us. We justify our actions and stubbornly engage. However, the end of most of those roads...run us, smack dab into a wall of regret, pain and sorrow. Much of the time they produce addictions to the body or mind, which enslave us. Making themselves god over our lives and deny us of our freedom.

I believe, if you look at the list of deadly behaviors, you will be able to see most of what's wrong with our world. For this reason, instead of looking at the list with a feeling of moral obligation, look at it as wisdom. In one of my messages, I talked about the importance of gaining wisdom and understanding it in an attempt to change the course of your life. These seven deadly areas provide a wise instruction for all of us to absorb!

First of all, gluttony (or over-indulgence) is the big issue that's had an impact on all of us in this forum!

I completely understand why this would be on the list. I understand how it kills! It destroys lives! It masquerades as a mild issue, especially when you compare it to some of the others on the list. But over-indulgence is an emotional and physical nightmare that turns into a complete life altering problem. These results are the consequences that occur because of it. I am always amazed at how people don't connect over-indulgence and spiritual consequences. You cannot over-indulge in food and have it isolated to just a mind and body consequence.... it effects the spirit. Our desecration of the body is our desecration of God's temple. Our body houses the Holy Spirit of God (as stated in the Bible). We have to remember this point. It's vital to the balance of life, which is the balance between Mind, Body and Spirit! If one is out of balance, then the other two are effected. You cannot negate any point of the triangle. You can try, but you will eventually have to come to terms with this. I am not trying to condemn or convict anyone... I am just trying to open your eyes to this disconnection.

The good news is that we can change!

When I was reading about this on Wikipedia, they also listed the 7 corresponding virtues that the Catholic religion teaches in correspondence with the 7 Deadly Sins. You can understand them more thoroughly by linking to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Virtues.

Here they are:

Vice & Virtue

Lust Chastity
Glutton Temperance
Greed Charity
Sloth Diligence
Wrath Patience
Envy Kindness
Pride Humility


I understand the importance of adhering to these principles and I agree with them wholeheartedly. Many of these are obvious opposites, but I like that they have shown us the specific behavior to magnify in order to stay to the right course.

I urge you to study the links I provided. I believe it will give you more understanding. Being aware of the pitfalls in the road, make falling into them harder. That's why we must see how these things are absolutely deadly to us!

Getting gluttony under control will absolutely come when we attain proper self love. We won't over-indulge because we can't. They oppose each other. They don't match. Pouring a strong dose of God's light into our hearts will undoubtedly affect the way we act and treat ourselves and others.

You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then lust after someone. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then over-indulge in food or drink. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then be greedy. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then be lazy. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then lose your temper. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then envy someone. You can't be full of light & centered love for yourself and others & then operate in pride. You just can't!!!

I know that we all have light. Good people can still struggle with some of these things (I know I do). But if we keep pouring more and more of God's Word and His love into our hearts, we will eventually minimize and hopefully push all of those ugly behaviors out, because we can't tolerate light and dark at the same time. It says in the scriptures that a house divided against itself will fall. Therefore, we will either choose to fall or stand. Turning completely into the light, is STANDING! This isn't perfection we are talking about, this is wisdom. This is choosing good and straight paths so we don't stumble!

So keep your eye on those seven vices and virtues in your life. Be aware and then be purposeful in your decisions regarding them. When you are full of light & centered love for yourself and others, you will indeed....BE FREE!

6 comments:

  1. Added a new outcome...”I choose to see all things in light, full of light and centered loved for yourself and others." Thanks for the newsletter. Elder Robert D. Hales spoke of "gluttony" at LDS General Conference last weekend. The talk centered around excesses. He advised that we pray to control our excessive wants and recognize the adversary's enticements. He talked about "joyfully living within our means." This is like "joyfully eating within the bounds of health." When I've been on a "cleanse" where there are few starches, fats, or dairies, boy the good food I can eat on the 'regular eating right" diet taste absolutely YUM! Lowfat yogurt, a bowl of strawberries, a low-cal graham cracker, or one piece of 45 calorie whole wheat bread and smart balance margarine tastes as good as a double hot fudge sundae...maybe not quite, but almost! It's a matter of degrees. Controlled appetite is good living and it spills over into the other two parts of the triangle, just as you said. Thanks!
    April 15, 2009 8:44 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! my post just crashed. Ultimately what what I wanted to say is...Life is like a game of dodgeball. If you practice catching the "virtue balls," you can use them to deflect sins...but you're bound to get hit every now and then....it's all good though....as long as you're alive you can start a new game tomorrow. :) If you never give up...you only get better. Everyone struggles...EVERYONE! It's why were here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. What happened to your sidebar posts that said what you ate? I found it inspirational. You are incredibly disciplined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay and Tiff...

    Thank you for your comments. Kay, I like that you commented from an LDS perspective. That helps others to see that these teachings are all connected! Tiff, I agree about starting over each new day. I'm definitely grateful that I get a second chance over and over again to iron out my faults. Also, I see that you noticed that I took my food intake off... I did that only because it was something that I was struggling to keep up with each day. I might put it back on soon :) Thanks again for both of your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather -

    Just wanted to wish you luck at your pageant on Friday. It would be fun to come but we will be in Lake Powell. Keep us posted on how it goes. I did not know your email so I found your blog. Tell everyone Hello from us.

    Love, Stacey

    ReplyDelete