Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wisdom=Understanding=Light=Healthy Body

As you know, I’ve been struggling to write this weeks newsletter. I have typed various search words into my online Bible, trying to formulate my subject. After putting different words into the search, I kept pulling up one particular scripture and each time without remembering that I had done it before, I clicked on the option to read the whole chapter surrounding that scripture. I think this happened 5 different times within this last week and each time I pulled up the same chapter. Today, I decided that there must be something about this chapter that some of you and probably I, need to think about, so here it goes. I will clarify my reasons for sharing this concept, after you read about it.

Proverbs 4

Wisdom Is Supreme

 1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
       pay attention and gain understanding.
 2 I give you sound learning,
       so do not forsake my teaching.
 3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
       still tender, and an only child of my mother,
 4 he taught me and said,
       "Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
       keep my commands and you will live.
 5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
       do not forget my words or swerve from them.
 6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
       love her, and she will watch over you.
 7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
       Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
 8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
       embrace her, and she will honor you.
 9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
       and present you with a crown of splendor."
 10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
       and the years of your life will be many.
 11 I guide you in the way of wisdom
       and lead you along straight paths.
 12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
       when you run, you will not stumble.
 13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
       guard it well, for it is your life.
 14 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked
       or walk in the way of evil men.
 15 Avoid it, do not travel on it;
       turn from it and go on your way.
 16 For they cannot sleep till they do evil;
       they are robbed of slumber till they make someone fall.
 17 They eat the bread of wickedness
       and drink the wine of violence.
 18 The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
       shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
 19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
       they do not know what makes them stumble.
 20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
       listen closely to my words.
 21 Do not let them out of your sight,
       keep them within your heart;
 22 for they are life to those who find them
       and health to a man's whole body.
 23 Above all else, guard your heart,
       for it is the wellspring of life.
 24 Put away perversity from your mouth;
       keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
 25 Let your eyes look straight ahead,
       fix your gaze directly before you.
 26 Make level paths for your feet
       and take only ways that are firm.
 27 Do not swerve to the right or the left;
       keep your foot from evil.


The particular scripture that I kept finding in all my word searches was Proverbs 4:22.
22 for they are life to those who find them
       and health to a man's whole body.
But the whole chapter was so powerful and needed to be read.

I suppose I like this because it falls in line with what I’ve been discussing about our inner light. Wisdom and Understanding are important ingredients in gaining light. We cannot transform our inner selves without using and applying wisdom and understanding to the situations we struggle with. Webster’s definition for Wisdom is: The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight. The definition for Understanding is: the power or ability to think, learn, judge, etc.; intelligence; sense.

How can we ever truly figure out what’s really going on with this weight condition or any difficult problem, until we have gained wisdom and understanding. I understand the scriptures above to say that when we choose to follow a higher path, we are wise. We are turning to a better course in our lives. Wisdom and Understanding protect us. They will give us “health to our whole bodies” and “the years of your life will be many.” Also it says it is the “wellspring of life.” All these references tell me that I will be able to live a healthy long life when I seek to absorb higher wisdom into my heart, which will then change the course of my life.

The heart is referenced a lot in the scriptures. It defines our character. Our heart is the center of the life we live. What you believe and dwell upon in your heart, typically shows up in your life. That’s why when it says to “pay attention and listen closely… keep them (wisdom & understanding) within your heart” and “guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.” This proves that when we seek to understand and be wise about a matter, that wisdom that we gain will be absorbed into our hearts and that is the only way to truly change our course.

In addition, it says to keep looking forward in our life.

We have such a tendency to look at what we don’t want or where we don’t want to go. This tells us to think about where we want to go. To have a positive vision. To keep on the path that will take us to that vision. It says that when we gain true wisdom and understanding about something, we will not keep falling off the path... over and over again.

Wisdom and Understanding will teach us many things in our lives, if we will allow ourselves to be taught. As I said in my last post, I pray for wisdom almost everyday and God blesses me because I ask. If you will do the same, then you will be filled with the light of understanding in many areas that you are lost (especially with your weight). Be wise to pray about this and it will give you lasting insight into your journey.

I firmly believe all these things and I know you will go to new levels in every area of your life, when you turn your heart over to the Lord in gaining Wisdom and Understanding!

1 comment: