Topic's of conversation and inspiration


Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Race

I have always loved movies about inspirational sports stories. I guess because it embodies everything that I admire and want to embrace personally. I even watched one last night. “The Comebacks.“ I loved it! This weeks newsletter is about a race.

Before I begin, I want to outline the focus of my future Newsletters.

I will be embracing the Mind, Body, Spirit approach. This isn‘t completely new, however I’ve been teaching a lot from the Spirit subjects lately. There is nothing wrong with that, but balance is a necessary element for growth. I believe strongly in the role that the Mind plays in creating our lives as well as the power of mastering our Bodies, like eating strategies and physical activity. My knowledge of “food for fuel” is extensive and I want to share this with you, as well as other insights I might have learned.

Each week I will rotate the focus (Mind topics, Body topics and Spirit topics). This week I will kick it off by incorporating all 3 into the message. This message actually came to me several months ago, but I didn’t feel it was the right time to share it. I believe now is the perfect time and I stand in awe at how the Lord works.

One more thing, I want to thank a special client for reminding me of one important ingredient when writing my newsletters. She said “Write something YOU need to hear.” She didn’t realize how profound her statement was. These were absolutely the perfect words to align me. “The Race” is a message that I need right now in my life! I hope it speaks to you as well!
******************************************************************************************

This “Race” is written about in the New Testament. The apostle Paul was the author.

It’s taken from 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. When I first read this passage, I was overcome with insight. I know Paul wasn’t writing about weight loss, but I could see the amazing parallels!

I want to share them with you now. First, the scripture passage and then the metaphorical insights that if applied, can dramatically change the outcome of your race.

Do you know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

First of all, lets talk about the first question. “Do you know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?” This question asks what kind of a runner are you? It cuts to the chase. It has you check your motivation and your work ethic. It asks if you have the heart of a champion? It asks if you have what it takes to get the prize? So the first thing to do is DEFINE YOUR LEVEL OF COMMITMENT.

Next it says in answer to the first question, “Run in such a way as to get the prize.” Basically that means, if you say you want to win, then you must behave differently. You need to think like an eagle not a chicken. You now must do what others aren’t willing to do. Any great sports movie shows us this example. Don’t think about past failures, because many runners have come back from failure and used it to help them win. You have to act and be a winner in your mind or you won‘t have what it takes to train for and then win the race. So the second thing to do is GO BEYOND THE AVERAGE.

Then we read, “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” Okay, this is huge! This part has you define what your motives are. Do you want to be skinny for the world’s reasons or do you want to be the disciplined person that God intended you to be… free from bondage? Diets and exercise programs are a dime a dozen. This is why the Weight Loss industry is a 60 billion dollar enterprise. Most people go into a diet or exercise program with intensity and some sort of resolve, but do they get to the finish line of their race? Do they reach their goal weight and size? Sometimes. Sometimes not. The question to ask is if they were after the right outcome or the right “crown?” Vain motives alone, represent a crown that won’t last. They will produce a shallow victory that has the individual still searching for some form of happiness. The right crown is attained when the goal is mastering your body. It’s attained by wanting God to be more important than the flesh. It’s by wanting depth of character to develop in the process. The crown of lasting victory will give you understanding about the role this struggle has had in your life. It’s by accepting responsibility for past behaviors but then understanding how God took your failures and turned them around to offer personal growth and development for your race. So the third focus is to DEVELOP HIGHER MOTIVES.

Next the passage reads “Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly;”. What I interpret this to mean is having a plan. The best results I’ve seen have come from individuals who are directly aiming at their targets everyday. The best of the best, know what their next move will be. They can’t afford to leave their success up to chance. They have long term and short term goals. They know what direction the day will take tomorrow. They know how they will train (exercise), what fuel they will use to train efficiently (food) and when they will do all of these things (a specific schedule). They are deliberate in their pursuit. A foolish person will fly by the seat of their pants. No plan, no direction, no goals, no daily game plan. The day creates itself. This will lead to defeat. Planning is absolutely necessary for any successful athlete. The fourth focus is to PLAN TODAY FOR TOMORROW.

Reading on it says “I do not fight like a man beating the air.” To me this means strategy. Paul uses the example of a fighter. Any boxer in training would learn how to hit their opponent hard, but also accurately. He would learn the art of defense in order to avoid getting knocked down. A fighter doesn’t waste his energy by constantly throwing punches. He uses his strength and energy wisely in order to endure all the rounds if necessary. Focusing your thoughts and actions to accurately help you each day is strategic. Be deliberate in your choices. Don’t waste energy on stupid things that won’t help you. Read scripture, pray specifically, eat wisely, do the right exercise for your objectives. The fifth focus is to WORK SMART, NOT HARD.

Next it says “No, I beat my body and make it a slave” This is self discipline. Realize that discomfort is necessary in being worthy to win the race and receive the lasting crown and prize. No great athlete did without pain. In this race the pains are different, but no less difficult to endure. The pain of walking away from food we want. The pain of preparing food in advance, when we would like to be doing something else. The pain of taking the time to read the scriptures in the morning or at night, when we just want to sleep in longer or lay down and rest. The pain of stopping our fast paced lives and talking to God. The pain of writing our food and feelings down because again, we are too busy and can’t. The pain of eating foods we may not like or may not prefer over something else. The pain of exercise to our bodies because it isn’t pleasant to feel a strain or physical discomfort. The pain of scheduling that exercise into our lives everyday. You see, we must suffer and sacrifice in order to ultimately win. The sixth focus is NO PAIN, NO PRIZE.

The last part of the passage says “so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” This means to be a person of integrity. It is said that integrity is revealed when no one is looking. It’s being a champion in front of everyone or just in front of God. God has given you this race to overcome in front of people. He wants you to win. When you win, you help others in running their races. This is why you must be authentic from the core. If you cheat and no one sees, He sees. You really only cheat yourself. Seeing the importance of your example, will help you be more committed to yourself and your own race. This speaks straight to me and my weaknesses. I want to lead with integrity and help all of you win your own races, while I win mine! The seventh and last focus is BE THE REAL THING.

So the formula for winning the race and receiving the desires of our heart are simple.

1. Define your level of commitment.
2. Go beyond the average.
3. Develop higher motives.
4. Plan today for tomorrow.
5. Work smart, not hard.
6. No pain, no prize.
7. Be the real thing.


I believe in this! Thinking about all the people that I’ve seen overcome this food addiction, I can see these traits. I know that if we can apply them, they will bring our bodies into balance with our minds and spirits. Have a great week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how profound. I love this. It applies to every aspect of my life. So many times I start a project, no matter what type, and eventually my commitment fades. This helps me realize that I am simply wasting time and energy if I'm not putting my focus on the right things FOR THE RIGHT REASONS and in the direction of the prize!
    I intend to ponder upon my motives and revisit my plan for weight loss. I find I'm willing to suffer the pain, but only for a short period of time. I experienced a real AH-HA moment reading this. Thank you; you're a great coach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Define my level of commitment: I had a friend named Cyndi Minte. She was my pledge advisor at a sorority I pledged at the U of U. Whenever I think of commitment, I think of her casual, unrelenting energy and her over-the-top commitment to completing a task with fervor and joy. I'm determined to up my game and work to be like Cyndi. I believe the trick is to stay 100% in the positive energy realm. It can happen with the right words and thoughts.
    Go Beyond The Average: To me this is planner usage. I find when I plan my day out the night before, I'm amazed at what happens and where my energies are focused. Plan to make a long and short term game plan and keep tot he program.
    Develop Higher Motives: Reminds me of a thought by Beth Moore, "Victorious living is not an instant arrival. It is the pursuit of one victorious day at a time until the sun sets on enough to begin forming victorious habits." My motive: One day at a time to form victorious HABITS.
    Plan Today For Tomorrow: See above concerning the planner. I plan to know what direction the day will take tomorrow.
    Smart Not Hard: Some of the practices mentioned have most thankfully become almost habits for me...it's the WORK completion I need to concentrate on...I hope that's where planning will help.
    No Pain, No Prize: I've learned that Heather's "just wait 15 minutes and the hunger will change" has saved me many times. The hunger comes but it also goes. Think of the "pain" as passing. I'd rather fit into the new clothes I bought than eat that twinkie.
    Be the Real thing: The daily assessment Heather has prepared makes me face the truth about my progress. Adjustments from this assessment have helped me keep moving forward.

    Heather...I've been studying "the laws." In so doing I'm trying to get a perspective on the order of life and how to incorporate that order in my own life. I think these laws offer perspective, the necessity of positive thinking, and the joy in imagination. The spirit leading out is important. Thanks for the newsletter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to comment on both the posts above.

    First from the Anonymous post...
    I completely get what you are saying. I relate when you say this can apply to all areas of your life. I too am notorious for starting something & then falling short. As I said, this message speaks to me first and foremost because I need to absorb the principles as well. Thank you for your insight and comment!!! I know that with God's help, we can do ANYTHING!!

    Second to comment on K.T. McCormicks post. I loved your breakdown. You're insights help me gain depth of understanding as well. I loved the quote by Beth Moore that you used. After posting the newsletter, I was thinking about the fact that i should have explained the importance of taking these steps one day at a time, which turns into the victory. Your addition of that quote, is exactly the way to look at this race! Wonderful assessments.

    Thank you both for your willingness to comment. Your words help me and probably all those who see them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Darlin'. I enjoyed it. Work smart not hard, huh? Humm, I'll see if I can give it a try. ;)

    ReplyDelete